Tuesday, February 8, 2011

YOU MUST TRY THIS RECIPE!

I hope the fact that I am using precious nap time to write out this recipe will help all of you know how wonderful I think it is. Thanks to Alora for sharing this recipe with me. I enjoy it so much I want you all to have the opportunity to try it!

Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale

4 tsp olive oil divided
2 cups of sliced leek (I used onion)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 c flour
1 1/2 lb skinless, boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp of salt, divided
1/2 tsp of pepper, divided
1 cup of white wine (I used chicken broth)
3 cups of chicken broth, divided
1 tb flour
2 cups of water
2 Tb. of Dijon mustard
2 cups of potatoes (I used plain old baking potatoes, and I used two)
8 cups of loosely packed torn kale (the first time I made this I did 8 cups and it was way too much, the second time i made it i just tore kale into the pot until it looked good to me)
Crushed red pepper, optional for topping

1. Heat 1 tsp oil, add leek and saute until tender, add garlic and saute about a minute, empty into a bowl.

2. Place 1/3 c of flour in bowl and dredge chicken in flour shaking off excess. Heat remaining 1 tb of oil in pan and add half of the chicken mixture, sprinkle with 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper, cook until all sides are brown. Add to leek mixture and repeat with rest of chicken. Removing all chicken from the pan.

3. Add wine(or broth) to pan and scrap sides to loosen browned bits. Combine 1 c of chicken broth with 1 tb of flour and whisk until smooth. Add broth mixture, remaining 2 cups of broth, water, and mustard to pan, bring to a boil.

4. Stir in chicken mixture, remaining 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

5. Stir in potato. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potato is tender.

6. Stir in kale. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

7. Garnish with crushed red pepper if you want.

YUMMY!!!!!! And perfect for a cold 4 degree day like today!